Cell C Sharks vs. Rebels
|Date||: Saturday, 22 April 2017|
|Venue||: Growthpoint KINGS PARK|
|Referee||: Marius van der Westhuizen|
|Assistant Referees||: Egon Seconds, Stuart Berry|
|Television Match Official||: Marius Jonker|
- Rhyno Smith
14. Kobus van Wyk
13. Lukhanyo Am
12. Andre Esterhuizen
11. Lwazi Mvovo (v/c)
10. Curwin Bosch
9. Cobus Reinach
8. Daniel du Preez
7. Philip van der Walt
6. Tera Mtembu (c)
5. Stephan Lewies
4. Etienne Oosthuizen
3. Coenie Oosthuizen
2. Franco Marais
1. Beast Mtawarira
16. Chiliboy Ralepelle
17. Thomas du Toit
18. Lourens Adriaanse
19. Ruan Botha
20. Jacques Vermeulen
21. Michael Claassens
22. Benhard Janse van Rensburg
23. Jeremy Ward
*Jean-Luc du Preez picked up a niggle during the week, therefore has not been considered for selection.
Quotes from Head Coach, Robert du Preez.
“After seven weeks of tough competition, we welcomed the opportunity to have a few days off. The players arrived at training refreshed and energetic. We’ve set out our goals as a team and we have a few important weeks coming up, with two trips abroad, and we need to remain focused and take each game as it comes, without getting ahead of ourselves.
“Our performances this year have shown that our young team has the talent and the temperament needed to succeed and we still have room for improvement. What excites us is the work ethic and commitment that our players have shown.
“The Rebels have come off a win against the Brumbies and will want to start their SA tour off well. Like the other Australian sides they like to spread the ball wide and play an expansive game. We’ve had a good training week and will certainly not be taking the Rebels lightly. We once again get an opportunity to play at home and we need to take our opportunities and make our home advantage count.”
- The Cell C Sharks have won all four previous meetings between both sides, with the 57 point win (64-7) against the Rebels in March 2013, representing our biggest Super Rugby victory;
- The Cell C Sharks have won their last seven home games, our best run since winning eight on the bounce from 2013 to 2014;
- The Cell C Sharks have conceded just two tries in the opening quarter of our games so far this season, no side has conceded fewer;
- Ruan Botha has won 37 lineouts this season (inc. steals), more than any other player and 16 more than the Rebels top lineout winner Steven Cummins (21);
- Rhyno Smith will be earning his first start for the 2017 Vodacom Super Rugby season.