Match Report: Glenwood High vs Northwood School on 8 June 2013

Jun 11 • School, School Rugby Results • 4832 Views • No Comments on Match Report: Glenwood High vs Northwood School on 8 June 2013

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)


It was a battle as Glenwood High took on Northwood at the ‘knights’ home ground at their Old Boys’ day. Northwood came out firing and the first 5 minutes saw some intense action with both teams looking to spread the ball in attack.

The first try came from an interception from Northwood which allowed their captain Gareth Murran to score in the 6th minute. The try wasn’t converted and the home team were up 5-0.

Glenwood immediately came back on the attack and a minute later had a 3 man overlap which allowed 8th man Rupert Kay to score an easy try.

Morné Joubert converted giving the Green Machine a 7-5 lead. Glenwood were relentless in the next 10 minutes of the match and some running moves from the backline saw two further tries being scored and converted changing the score to 21-5 by the 15th minute.

Northwood never gave up and were awarded a penalty in front of the poles which Lindo Makhanye converted taking the score to 21-8.

The jubilation was short lived as a Green Machine lineout 5 metres from Northwood’s try line saw a rolling maul take Glenwood lock Ntokozo Vidima over the line to score. The try was not converted and the half time score was 26 -8.


The second half was riddled with errors both from the players and officials which didn’t allow for smooth game play, a total of 16 penalties against both teams caused a stop start second half.  Northwood received a penalty which was again converted making the score 26-11. From then on both teams attacked but various errors cost either from scoring.

Glenwood finally provided some entertainment when winger Shamandla ‘Sparks’ Ngcobo sprinted down the line and his talented footwork created massive gaps in the Northwood defence.

Sparks fed the ball to fullback Morné Joubert who had a simple run in to score the final try of the match.

Both teams continued to play but various mistakes probably caused by the heat on the day left the score at 33-11 in Glenwood’s favour.

[Report & photograph by Brett Webber – Glenwood Marketing Director]

 by @neliodesa (Twitter)


Schools or Old Boys can email your Match Reports along with photos to 

Related Posts