Three innovative projects by the South African Rugby Union (SARU) have been nominated in the shortlist for the inaugural Virgin Active Sports Industry Awards. SARU is the only national sports federation among the nominees.
A rugby development and education project run in conjunction with the TAG Rugby Association, the launch of a ground-breaking animated Bokkie mascot and the roll-out of an integrated range of digital communication channels were all recognised by judges.
“We’re extremely proud to have been included among the inaugural nominees,” said Jurie Roux, the CEO of SARU. “The projects which have been included prove that SARU is not only attending to its first duty to develop the game at grassroots level through the TAG project but is also a business at the cutting edge with Bokkie and our digital communications platforms.”
Roux said other major initiatives by SARU – such as the nationwide Champion Tour and the rollout of rugby safety legislation through the BokSmart programme – had made 2010, a memorable one for the organisation.
“Much of the work of SARU is unseen and these projects are just a few of the areas in which we’re involved. The performance of the Springboks and our other national teams, and the playing of the game are always of paramount importance but much good work goes on in support of making SARU one of South Africa’s leading sports federations.”
The nominated SARU projects in brief were:
- TAG Rugby; Tackle Safety – Introduced TAG rugby to 25 000 children and included an anti-drug and anti-crime message in conjunction with the United Nations
- Going Public – SARU launched integrated communications channels at all online touch points for supporters via Facebook, Twitter, MXit, Mobisite, ezine and the first digital sports magazine by a South African sports federation (www.bokonlimemag.co.za)
- Bokkie – The 3D cinema launch of a revamped and animated Bokkie mascot, aligned to a highly successful nationwide Bokkie apparel release
The winners in the 12 categories of the Virgin Active Sport Industry Awards will be announced on February 17, 2011 at a major awards ceremony hosted by Emperors Palace.
SARU was nominated as follows:
Best Grassroots Development Programme
- HI-TEC – Martin Dreyer ‘Change a life’ Academy
- Nestlé – Nestlé Milo Champions U-13
- Nike – Elite Training Grassroots Programme
- SARU – TAG Rugby Tackle Safety Programme
Best Use of Digital Communication in Sport
- Club Newlands & Western Province – Club Newlands
- HI-TEC – Liquid Mountaineering
- Nike – Write the Headline
- SARU – Going Public
- Western Province Rugby & Clickthinking – Vodacom Stormers ‘Global Storming’
Best Integrated Sport Marketing Campaign
- adidas – Unite Mzansi Unite
- KFC – KFC Champions Box
- Nike – Game Changers
- SARU – Bokkie
- Southern Sun – United We Shall Stand
- Standard Bank – Standard Bank Pro20 Series