Kearsney College sneaks another victory over Glenwood

Mar 18 • School, School Rugby Results • 5395 Views • Comments Off on Kearsney College sneaks another victory over Glenwood

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Glenwood High School Rugby vs Kearsney College 16 MARCH 2013 - Morne Joubert (Full back) - by HANNELIE Erasmus

Kearnsney records another nail-biting win against Glenwood

In what will go down as one of the best games of the 2013 KwaZulu-Natal school rugby season, home team Kearsney College once again relied on a late try to seal victory against Glenwood, winning 26-25 and making it a second win in a row against Glenwood.

Although Kearsney dominated the first half in terms of territory and possession, they only had a 13-10 lead at the break to show for all their efforts.

Glenwood fought back strongly in a more evenly contested second half. Their ability to make something out of nothing served them well. Glenwood took the lead for the first time in the match at 22-21 midway through the second half. The visitors then kicked over another penalty to go 25-21 ahead with just a few minutes left on the clock.

Kearsney remained composed and from the very next kickoff, the home team won a turnover and quickly advanced up field where they pressed hard and were finally rewarded with the match winning try scored in the left-hand corner.

It was a thrilling finish to a highly entertaining game.

Although Kearsney went into the match without their two SA Schools players and it was their teamwork that once again won the day, the game was not without individual heroes. The outstanding player of the match was Kearsney’s fullback Christopher Lines who had made numerous impressive runs and evaded many first time tackles in the process. Kearsney hooker Jordan Meaker also delivered an excellent performance, as did technically sound centre Tyler Smith.

Tries: M. Moloi, J. Meaker, A. Albertse
Conv: T. Tedder (1)
Pen: T. Tedder (3)

Tries: K. Tredoux, S.Ngcobo, K.van Vuuren
Conv: K. Gerhard (2)
Pen: K. Gerhard (2)

KEARSNEY:  15. Chris Lines,  14. Thuthu Ndlovu,  13. Blair Cremer,  12. Tyler Smith,  11. Alex Albertse,  10. Tristan Tedder,  9. Matt Reece-Edwards (c),  8. Ayron Schramm,  7. Jarred Hayes-Hill,  6. Zander Rossouw,  5. Bevan Jackson,  4. Mitch du Toit,  3. Mthokozisi Moloi,  2. Jordan Meaker, 1. Tijde Visser


GLENWOOD: 15. Morné Joubert,  14. Corne Vermaak,  13. Nkululeko Mcuma,  12. Akhona Nela,  11. Sphamandla Ngcobo,  10. Jaques Dumas,  9. Kyle Gerhard,  8. Jaco Coetzee,  7. Mzwandile Mazibuko,  6. Rupert Kay (c),  5. Matthew Harmsworth,  4. Seth vd Heever,  3. Kobus Tredoux,  2. Kieran Van Vuuren,  1. Percy Mngadi

by @Beet_b (Follow on Twitter)


Match Report Below by (Sean Erasmus)

Glenwood vs Kearsney

The team played their first match of the domestic Season away against Kearsney and as anticipated it was a tough encounter. Glenwood seem to struggle in the first half masking all the mistakes looking nervous and grabbing at the ball. Kearsney took good advantage of their strong start and played good expansive rugby. The boys in Green never stood back and scrumhalf Kyle Gerhard slotted a penalty and converted a try near the end of the half to bring the score level, 10 – all. Try scorer was tight head Koos Tredoux that burst through a gap after selling the dummy to score the team’s first try. Kearsney was awarded another penalty just before halftime to take the lead at half time 13-10.

Glenwood started stronger in the second half opening the scoring with a great try from left winger Sphamandla Ngcobo that Gerhard converted to take the lead 17-13.Poor handling from the kick off gave Kearsney their second half try to take the lead back 17-18. Glenwood replied with a try 5 minutes later by hooker Kieran van Vuuren out on the wing that Gerhard failed to convert regaining the lead 22-18. Rain started setting in and along with it a thick mist and bad light started creeping in. Both teams made some handling errors and Glenwood gave away a penalty for accidental offside after a knock on which Kearsney slotted to close the gap 22-21.Gerhard slotted a Glenwood penalty minutes later to extend the lead by 25-21. With 4 minutes left Kearsney restarted the game and once again Glenwood could not gather the kick off and Kearsney rumbled the ball forward. Good hands and attacking the space Kearsney went over in the corner to regain the lead 25-26 missing the conversion. Kearsney held the ball for the last minute after the restart to win the game 25-26.

Glenwood as a young team will return to the drawing board to plan for their tough next 2 weeks at the Potch/Pukke Rugby Festival and Kearsney Easter Festival. There were a lot of positives for the Glenwood team and the fighting spirit to come back from a 10 point deficit shows that this team has character and is capable to produce great results this year.

Glenwood High School Rugby vs Kearsney College 16 MARCH 2013 - lineout - by Hannelie Erasmus


Related Posts

« »