Match Report: Kearsney vs Hilton

Apr 18 • General News, School • 2265 Views • Comments Off on Match Report: Kearsney vs Hilton

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)

Kearsney 1st XV lost to Hilton 1st XV 23-31


The match was played in hot Midlands conditions with a slight breeze.  Kearsney started the match with high intensity and dominated proceedings for the first 10 minutes and was handsomely rewarded with an early 10 – nil lead.


The first points came courtesy of winger James Sutherland’s trusty boot from a breakdown infringement by the hosts. The Kearsney team played with good structure and soon found themselves in the 22m area.  After continuous pressure Kearsney was awarded another penalty which captain Greg van Noordwyk opted for a scrum close to the right-hand upright.  Scrumhalf Warren Driver justified his decision with a snipe around the fringes. Sutherland converted and Kearsney seemed set for a good performance.


The good start might have led to some complacency and many unforced errors and bad decision making crept into the Kearsney game.  Credit to the hosts as they made full use of this opportunity and slowly but surely clawed their way back into the match. Hilton fly-half Angus Curtiss soon converted two penalties while Sutherland added another penalty for Kearsney.  Kearsney ended the first half stronger but possibly spilt another three point scoring opportunities which kept the halftime score at 16 – 6 to Kearsney.


Hilton started the second half employing smothering tactics and the visitors were unable to relieve the pressure exerted by the hosts.  Hilton very soon scored a well-worked backline move unconverted try from a right hand scrum for an 11-16 deficit. Hilton was soon rewarded with another Curtiss penalty to narrow the gap to two points.


Hilton started to have the upper hand in the territorial stakes and the Hilton fly-half and fullback did great work in this department. The hosts scored another somewhat contentious try after the Kearsney defenders stopped playing to what seemed a handling error by Hilton’s ever present eighthman Phiri. The referee however awarded the try which Curtiss converted for his team to take the lead for the first time in the match.


Kearsney immediately hit back from the kick-off with the forwards using pick and go tactics with great effect.  A penalty resulted and eighthman Brady Erlich took a quick tap only to be stopped close to the line. The visitors moved the ball to the left and back and continued with the pick and go momentum until lock Jared Meyer barged over for Sutherland to covert and to regain the lead at 23 – 21 with 5 minutes left.


Hilton pressurised territorially again and capitalized from a defensive error out wide to score their third try of the match and a five point lead. With Kearsney attempting to keep the ball in hand and the hosts hanging desperately on to their lead the hosts conceded another penalty at the breakdown which man-of-the-match Curtis converted for a final score of 31 – 23 to Hilton. Kearsney locks Meyer and Ryan Lewarne worked hard and winger Mathew Watts made most of his limited opportunities.

Rugby - Kearsney's Jared Meyer with Ryan Lewarne in support in the game against Hilton


Photos by Tracey van den Aardweg

Related Posts

« »