Australia A coach Jason Gilmore has revealed the matchday 23 for the side’s clash with Japan XV in Tokyo on Saturday.
The side features eight Wallabies in the starting XV including an all capped front row that sees Matt Gibbon at loosehead alongside hooker Lachlan Lonergan and tighthead prop Tom Robertson.
The second row pairing of Nick Frost and Cadeyrn Neville have been named to back up just seven days after they played against New Zealand in the Wallabies final Rugby Championship game of 2022.
25-Test capped forward Ned Hanigan returns from a knee injury at blindside flanker with Western Force star Ollie Callan named at openside. Langi Gleeson, a standout in the Australia A Pacific Nations Cup campaign, will wear the number eight jersey.
Brumbies scrumhalf Ryan Lonergan has again been named as captain and will combine with NSW playmaker Ben Donaldson in the halves.
Western Force’s Bayley Kuenzle will make his first appearance in the Australia A side at inside centre with Hudson Creighton named as his midfield partner.
An all Queensland back three sees Wallabies Filipo Daugunu and Suli Vunivalu on the wings with Jock Campbell named at fullback.
Youngster Billy Pollard is the finishing hooker with the developing Harry Hoopert and Archer Holz the other replacement front rowers.
Ryan Smith has been selected as the finishing second rower with Rebels stalwart Brad Wilkin named to cover the backrow.
His club teammate James Tuttle will provide energy as the finishing scrumhalf with Isaac Henry and Mark Nawaqanitawase the other replacement backs.
The Australia A tour of Japan will be streamed live and available on demand on Stan Sport.
Australia A team to play Japan at at Chichibunomiya Rugby Stadium in Tokyo on Saturday 1 October, 7:00pm JST/8:00pm AEST
- Matt Gibbon (Melbourne Rebels)
- Lachlan Lonergan (ACT Brumbies)
- Tom Robertson (Western Force)
- Nick Frost (ACT Brumbies)
- Cadeyrn Neville (ACT Brumbies)
- Ned Hanigan (NSW Waratahs)
- Ollie Callan (Western Force)
- Langi Gleeson (NSW Waratahs)
- Ryan Lonergan (c) (ACT Brumbies)
- Ben Donaldson (NSW Waratahs)
- Filipo Daugunu (Queensland Reds)
- Bayley Kuenzle (Western Force)
- Hudson Creighton (ACT Brumbies)
- Suliasi Vunivalu (Queensland Reds)
- Jock Campbell (Queensland Reds)
- Billy Pollard (ACT Brumbies)
- Harry Hoopert (Queensland Reds)
- Archer Holz (NSW Waratahs)
- Ryan Smith (Queensland Reds)
- Brad Wilkin (Melbourne Rebels)
- James Tuttle (Melbourne Rebels)
- Isaac Henry (Queensland Reds)
- Mark Nawaqanitawase (NSW Waratahs)
Australia A vs Japan XV Tour
Saturday, October 1, at Chichibunomiya Rugby Stadium in Tokyo
Saturday, October 8, at Best Denki Stadium in Fukuoka
Friday, October 14, at Yodoko Sakura Stadium in Osaka